Helicopter Combat Support Squadron ONE, Detachment TWO, is a permanently deployed component of Helicopter Combat Support Squadron ONE which was established in 1948 as the Navy's first operational helicopter squadron. Though an HC-1 detachment has deployed aboard the Midway since August of 1958, DET TWO was established in early 1973 to serve as the primary logistic/search and rescue unit for the Midway and Carrier Air Wing FIVE. Since then the detachment made dozens of life saving rescues, moved thousands of passengers and VIP's, and delivered countless tons of mail, cargo and equipment.
With their four Sikorsky SH-3G Sea King helicopters, the detachment is capable of night and all-weather search and rescue support fo Midway and accompanying vessels. The aircraft utilizes a crew of four for most missions: a pilot, copilot, crew chief, and rescue swimmer. The normal fuel load for plane guard missions is 4,000 pounds (4 hours) which gives the aircraft the ability of double cycling while still maintain a realistic rescue range. In a logistic support role, the SH-3G is configured for 13 passengers in troop seats. The operating weight of the aircraft with a crew of four is approximately 13,000 lbs. which leaves 6100 lbs. for a fuel/logistics load prior to reaching the aircraft's maximum gross weight limitation. The SH-3G is also capable of being used for external load transfers with loads up to a maximum of 3000 lbs.Complete list of at-sea periods from June 1981 through April 1991 Dates for HC-1 DET 2 involvement end on 15 July 1984 when HS-12, with SH-3Hs, reported to CVW-5.